The mental health Counselor will work with residents at Gracedale to help them overcome and manage different mental and emotional challenges. Duties include meeting with residents to listen to their problems, and following the treatment plan developed by the BSC, and providing coping strategies for the residents to follow.
Typical duties and responsibilities as a Counselor include:
- Provide residents with the resources they need to reach personal goals.
- Monitor resident progress and modify their treatment plans as needed.
- Coordinate with social workers, nursing staff, team and supervisor to provide residents with needed services.
- Educate staff and residents on adjustment and coping mechanisms.
- Complete assessment scale and safety plan every 6 month or when a resident is hospitalized.
- Complete satisfaction survey every 6 months.
- Complete one time consent for treatment.
- Weekly supervision and monthly team meeting are required.
Our team provides the highest caliber of treatment to the residents in Gracedale that are struggling with adjustment, depression, anxiety, grief and loss, and other mental health illnesses. This position is challenging yet rewarding as our staff have the opportunity to make a significant impact in the lives of these residents.
The Counselor position provides a great opportunity for someone who is interested in or currently pursuing a degree in the mental health or social services fields. In this role, you will gain exposure and experience working with the older adult population that have significant mental health and possibly substance abuse issues.
Our ideal candidate is dedicated, responsible, reliable, and excited about working with older adults that struggle with mental health. We are looking for someone who is flexible and willing to adjust to the ever-changing nature of older adult treatment.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide direct care to the residents
- Provide one-to-one support for residents and addresses areas where they need support with individual problems
- Maintain vigilance and awareness of residents while monitoring the behaviors.
- Conduct once a week group therapy on a variety of topics.
- Crisis Management and intervention when necessary
- Responsible for individual and group note documentation
- Responsible for 6 month and yearly paperwork
- Continual continuity of care with nursing staff, social workers and other team members that see the resident as well.
- Must be able to attend weekly supervision and monthly group supervision.
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Possess good personal and professional boundaries appropriate for a treatment setting
- Able to remain calm in a crisis situation for the safety of our clients
- Able to be fully attentive at all times for residents safety.
- BA degree or higher in Psychology, Social Work, or related field
- Some prior experience working in a mental health setting
- Previous crisis management experience
- Previous experience working with older adults
8 hour shift
working with older adults: 1 year (Preferred)
Location: Gracedale Nursing Home